(Note, these brands relate mainly to US sales, however most translate throughout the world).
Below is a list of the main car companies and what they sell to customers and the brands they currently offer. See if you can recognise what brands below relate to the car companies you know and what new companies and brands you’ve never heard of before.
- BMW Group owns and produces all BMW’s, Mini’s, and Rolls-Royce.
- Daimler AG owns and produces all Mercedes-Benz and Smart vehicles.
- Fisker Inc. owns Fisker, reborn electric car brand that has partnered with Magna-Steyr to build its vehicles.
- Ford Motor Co. owns the Ford and Lincoln brands.
- General Motors owns Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC. Hummer returned as a GMC sub-brand. GM has a formal partnership now with Honda to co-develop EV’s.
- Honda Motor Co. owns and produces Acura and Honda branded vehicles. It is in partnership with GM and it formed an electric car company with Sony, called Sony Honda Mobility that has the Afeela brand.
- Hyundai Motor Group owns Genesis, Hyundai, and Kia.
- Mazda Motor Corp. owns and produces all Mazda vehicles.
- Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance owns Infiniti, Mitsubishi, and Nissan.
- Rivian Automotive owns Rivian, an electric car company focused on SUVs and trucks.
- Stellantis is the new corporation formed from the Fiat/Chrysler Automobiles and Peugeot S.A. merger. The name is explained as being rooted in a Latin verb meaning to brighten with stars. The FCA brands sold in the U.S. are now under Stellantis. These brands are Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep, Maserati, and Ram. Outside the US, they produce Citroen, DS Automobiles, Opel, Peugeot, and Vauxhall.
- Subaru Corp. owns and produces all Subaru vehicles.
- Tata Motors owns Jaguar and Land Rover.
- Tesla owns and produces all Tesla branded vehicles.
- Toyota Motor Corp. owns Lexus and Toyota and has a stake in Subaru and Suzuki.
- VinGroup owns the VinFast an automotive brand, as well as VinHomes, VinBigData, VinBioCare, and VinBrain.
- Volkswagen AG owns Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Scout, and Volkswagen.
- Zhejiang Geely Holding Group (ZGH) owns Lotus, Polestar, and Volvo.
Note, there are other smaller car companies and brands that are not listed above but this information is based on US figures and statistics for the benefit of this article.