Banner Vehicles July 2019

SUV’s sales in New Zealand on the increase

At the moment statistics are published showing that passenger vehicle sales are dropping in New Zealand. This is creating space for growth in the SUV and light commercial sector. These recent figures show that passenger cars hold around 42% of the total new vehicle sales so far in 2014. Car sales for normal passenger vehicles were at 45.5% at the same period last year.
Statistics show that new SUV sales have risen to nearly 30% and light commercial vehicles have grown to reach just over 24% of the market. Adding SUV’s and light commercials together accounts for around 54% of new vehicle sales in New Zealand for January through to May 2014.
Ford Explorer Ford Kuga Ford Ecosport Ford Escape
Explorer Kuga Ecosport Escape
Ford Flex Ford Expedition Ford Territory Ford Edge
Flex Expedition Territory Edge

Ford, like other carmakers, has no shortage of small and large SUV’s in the global market place with names that we may or may not have seen or know about. Names like Explorer, Kuga, Ecosport, Escape, Flex, Expedition, Territory and Edge make up the range.

However we also know that the Australasian designed and built Territory SUV is about to disappear along with the Falcon in 2016. There is talk about a new SUV named after the highest mountain in the world being offered here. The Everest along with the Endeavour are five-door SUVs based on the Mazda B-series trucks, and have been on sale in Asia since 2003 with similar Explorer-like exterior styling.
Ford EverestFord unveiled a concept version of a new Everest SUV at the China Motor Show recently in 2014; it was shown alongside the 2015 Ford Mustang and 2015 Ford Escort designed for the Chinese market. The seven-seater Everest, designed by Ford Australia and likely for our market, is rumored to be based on the Ford Ranger pickup truck. The Ranger, which is on sale in Australia and New Zealand, is a vehicle we are more familiar with.
We haven’t heard for sure if this SUV will see production, although the concept vehicle shown in the China Motor Show was reported as production-ready. There has been some talk about introducing the Everest to the Australian and New Zealand markets and we have also read that if this vehicle was to be produced, Ford’s joint venture partner, JMC, would build it in China and also be sold in China.
The Ford Explorer is arguably a solid off road vehicle so the Everest would fulfill the role of rugged SUV ready for off road use, with the known Ranger pickup DNA as the platform.
July 2014


Parts Connection
Capricorn Preferred Supplier
Automotive Recyclers Association


0800 777 525
11 Honan Place,
Avondale, Auckland 1026
8:00 am - 5:00 pm